So by now most of you have heard of “clean eating.” There are several views and opinions on what that really means… and here is mine.
Clean = Making Better Choices
I don’t profess to be perfect with my diet and I totally believe in treating your self (in moderation). My take on clean eating is striving toward cleaner choices with the ultimate goal being real foods, organic products, natural ingredients, no processed foods, and no preservatives. Obviously it’s not that easy (or cheap) to get to the cleanest form of nutrition, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make changes to get closer to your goals with some hard work and time!
Some of the most important tips I’ve taken and applied to my routine include:
1. Eat four-six smaller meals a day.
2. Drink water!! Whether it’s plain or infused figure out a way to stay hydrated!!
3. Read labels!! Keep an eye out for saturated fats, sodium, sugar (read that ingredient list carefully for hidden sugars), and any funky looking ingredients that seem like they could be harmful.
4. Do not skip breakfast! Even a small snack or protein shake to get your body going can make a big difference. Just make sure you fuel up before you start your day!
5. Make a plan! Start by cleaning out the junk from your pantry/fridge/freezer. Research some healthier alternatives. Make a shopping list (and stick to it). Prep what you can, otherwise have some clean eating recipes on hand to help you stay on track. Check out my Pinterest page for some clean eating inspiration Clean Eating Board! I suggest you make a Pinterest board too or find a clean eating website/cookbook to reference when you’re in a rut!